The Phase 1: ARENA will have ice for part of the year and a dry floor for the remainder.
During ice season, a portable floor can be installed to accommodate many of the dry floor uses.
Here are examples of possible activities, programs, events:
DRY FLOOR SEASON
It is the hope of the facilities’ organizers that the West Coast Multiplex will be used as a multi-use meeting place and wellness facility for individuals and families of all ages.
Equal emphasis will be placed on:
Community events and celebrations
Teaching and training
A secondary benefit of the West Coast Multiplex is the possible use as a higher ground, emergency shelter.
A multi-use facility of this type does not currently exist in our area making it difficult to attract and keep families who desire a more active lifestyle supported by recreation facilities that are provided as a basic community service.
Since the referendum in 2012 securing the operating funds, the society has secured the land for a multi phased facility along airport road, and have the documents needed to support Provincial and Federal government capital fund requests.
Intended beneficiaries are all community members from youth to seniors.
Who Will Use the West Coast Multiplex?
Nearly 8,700 West Coast Residents as well as many of our 800,000 plus guests the West Coast hosts every year!! Email us to get involved firstname.lastname@example.org
Tofino-Ucluelet area communities population data:
The District of Tofino
Total Catchment Area Population
The benefits of recreation and wellness to each individual and to communities have been well researched and documented.
Real benefits achieved through individual and community participation in leisure include:
- Recreation and active living are essential to personal health;
- Recreation is key to balanced human development
- Recreation reduces self destructive and anti-social behaviour;
- Recreation and parks are essential to quality of life;
- Recreation and related facilities build strong families and healthy communities;
- Recreation reduces health care and social services costs; and,
- Recreation and related facilities can be significant economic generators.