West Coast Multiplex Plans
The current West Coast Multiplex Plan, is being re-developed and offers a multi-phased development approach. The society has scaled down the high-end facility designed earlier in order to bring a more realistic and affordable venue.
Phase One calls for:
- Two-storey high glazed foyer offering direct visibility from the lobby into the arena area
- Angled wooden support columns, wood beams and roof deck offering a warm, friendly atmosphere for visitors
- Combined Juice Bar and servery area (or vending area depending on community preference)
- Informal gathering with seating for the general public and facility users
- Male, female, and handicap washrooms for use by the general public.
- Exterior patio accessed directly from the foyer.
- Rink & Arena
- Fitness Room (funding dependant, may be phased in after the facility is built )
- Administration for centralized reception and control station to accommodate staff and provide controlled entry
Phase Two calls for:
- The Therapeutic Leisure Pool
- Freeform Pool with 3 short swim lanes for leisure lap swimming or competition warm up use.
- 25m deck level competition/lap pool has 4 lanes and is designed to meet the needs of swimmers and fitness buffs, as well as provide for water polo, synchronized swimming, and underwater hockey.
- Disabled access to the lap pool will be provided by a portable, battery driven lift.
The Regional District has identified a site for the West Coast Multiplex within Tofino/Ucluelet Airport Lands that is accessible by car, public transit, bike transit and for some pedestrian use. Access near the golf course may in turn broaden the range of activities that families can engage in at the same location at the same time. It will also be in close proximity to the Long Beach section of the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.
We have completed a feasibility study showing that a recreation complex could be a reality when the eight communities work together for a common goal, and are now working to complete the business plan.
- Referendum Question
- Multiplex Press Release: October 25, 2012
- Informational Open House Dates
- Overview & Information Sheet for the West Coast Multiplex Project
- ACRD Voting Rules & Information
- Preliminary Site Services Costs (2012)
- Phase 1 Design & Construction Budget (2012)
- ACRD Bylaw 1055: Local Service Area Estimate (2012)
- Cost Review of Gold River & Port McNeill Facilities (2012)
- West Coast Multiplex Survey (2011)
Design & Plans (2010):
- Preliminary Design & Construction Estimate
- This design is currently under re-design in order to reduce the capital costs.